Everything Bagel Latkes with Dill Cream Cheese and Smoked Salmon
What makes these “everything bagel” latkes so special is what is inside and on top. The latkes themselves have “everything topping” inside as well as creamy, tangy goat cheese. And then on top you spread a homemade dill cream cheese and top it all off with some salty smoked salmon.
Wanna get really fancy? Try making your own gravlax. Add some sliced red onion, cucumber and even some capers for a full bagel and schmear. Wanna go a less homemade route? Buy some flavored cream cheese right in the store. I think a scallion cream cheese would also go great in this recipe, and can usually be found in most supermarkets or bagel shops.
These latkes are both creamy and savory, and I like making them bite-sized so guests can easily eat them with their fingers.
- Dill Cream Cheese
- 6 ounces cream cheese, left at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Everything Bagel Topping
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 2 teaspoons thick sea salt
- 4 Idaho (Russet) potatoes
- 1 small-medium onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2–3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 ounces goat cheese, left at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel topping
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Thinly sliced smoked salmon
- First, make dill cream cheese and everything bagel topping. Add softened cream cheese to a bowl and combine with fresh dill, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Place back in the fridge until ready to serve. To make the everything bagel topping, mix together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, dried onion and thick sea salt. Set aside.
- Peel and cut potatoes and onions in half. Peel garlic cloves. Place potatoes, onion and garlic through food processor for a coarse grate (you can also grate coarsely by hand). Place potato mixture in a large bowl. Add eggs, flour, salt, goat cheese and 2 tablespoons everything bagel topping mix. Heat vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Form bite-sized mounds of latkes, taking care not to squeeze too much liquid out of the latkes. Fry until golden brown on each side, then place on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet to cool. Immediately sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- When ready to serve, spread thin layer of dill cream cheese on top of each latke. Add smoked salmon on each latke and top with sprinkle of everything bagel topping. Serve while still warm.