Debra’s Farm Market Carrot Soup
Carrots are great this time of year. They are packed with vitamin A, potassium, lutein and fiber—and are delicious. This soup can be made with water or broth (vegetable or chicken), depending on your preference.
- 5 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon roasted coriander (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light oil, such as olive, canola or sunflower
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth or water (or a combination)
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley or roasted garlic
- Place the carrots, salt, sugar, pepper, coriander and oil into a medium-size saucepan and cover with broth or water. Cover the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer the soup until the carrots are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and blend using an immersion blender or a food processor or blender, in batches, and puree until the soup is completely smooth. Ladle the soup into 4 warmed soup bowls and garnish.