Curry Cashew Cream
Here’s an alternative to sour cream that will make the vegans in your life happy and serves as a dairy-free latke accompaniment if you’re making meat. The curry is a throwback to the Chanukah I spent in India a few years ago.
- 2 cups raw (unsalted) cashews or cashew pieces
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon good-quality sea salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- Pinch of cayenne powder to taste
- ½ cup water (add more as needed)
- First, soak cashews: cover with water and leave for 6 hours or overnight. When ready, drain and rinse cashews. Add cashews and other ingredients to food processor. Puree all ingredients until creamy and add water if necessary. The consistency should be like whipped butter. You can add water if you want it looser. Chill for 2 hours before serving.