Creamy Mushroom Artichoke Soup
Come January, I’m always ready for healthy, cleansing foods. This recipe is intended to clear the gut of Chanukah and holiday season grease.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Pinch of dried rosemary
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups raw mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 bag frozen artichoke hearts
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh black pepper to taste
- Handful of almonds, crushed and toasted for garnish
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Add rosemary, thyme, carrots and mushrooms. Turn heat to low, cover pot and allow to cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until carrots are soft (stir every 2 minutes to prevent from burning).
- Add vegetable broth and artichoke hearts. Turn heat to medium and bring to boil. Once all vegetables are soft, reduce heat to simmer. Add remaining ingredients. With an immersion blender, puree for 1 to 2 minutes, allowing some vegetable chunks to remain. Top with crushed almonds and serve hot.