Cool Cucumber Salad with Feta and Walnuts
Entering the last three months of my year in Israel, this salad is an attempt to use up some of the weird spices sitting in my drawer since my first three months here. It’s the perfect summer salad—cool and refreshing with zesty herbs.
- 5-7 small Persian cucumbers, sliced into matchstick pieces
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ½ cup (handful) fresh dill, chopped
- ½ cup (handful) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup currants or golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, broken
- Gently throw sliced cucumbers, herbs, currants/raisins and feta into a bowl. Mix olive oil, lemon juice and zest, sumac, salt and pepper in separate vessel. Pour oil mixture over the salad and gently toss. Top with walnuts and serve immediately or place in the fridge and serve chilled later or the next day.