back to Recipe Collection
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded Kashkaval or provolone cheese
- ½ cup crumbled Bulgarian feta cheese
- 1 egg
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 sheets store-bought puff pastry, thawed and cut into twelve 3½-inch squares
- Egg wash (beaten egg with a splash of water)
- Black and white sesame seeds
- Place the potatoes in a pot and fill with enough cool water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil the potatoes until fork tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Mash the potatoes either with a ricer or simply with a fork until completely mashed. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cheeses, egg, a little bit of salt and a nice amount of black pepper and mix until well combined.
- Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with tin foil and coating it lightly with cooking spray. Fill each square with about 2 teaspoons of filling leaving at least a ¼-inch border. Brush some egg wash along the edges of the puff pastry and seal them into triangles. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with lots of sesame seeds.
- Transfer the bourekas to the prepared sheet pan and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. At this point you can transfer them to bags and keep frozen until you’re ready to bake them.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and bake until golden brown and flakey, about 18 to 20 minutes.