Celery Root and Green Apple Salad
This is a seasonal, simple, and fresh-tasting salad that goes well with chicken or fish. It works also really well as part of a buffet. As it incorporates apples, if perfectly fits the culinary theme of the high holidays.
- 1 whole celery root, peeled
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Slice and cut the celery root into thin matchsticks. Cut the apples into slightly thicker matchsticks. Toss together with the lemon juice and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Keep chilled and covered until serving. Toss with chopped parsley just before serving.
- Recipe reprinted with permission from From a Polish Country House Kitchen (Chronicle Books LLC, 2012) by Danielle Crittenden Frum and Anne Applebaum. Photo by Danielle Crittenden Frum.