Reishi is a powerful adaptogenic mushroom and is often referred to as the “mushroom of immortality.” These medicinal mushrooms have been used in China for centuries as a tonic to aid the body in coping with a variety of stressors. When blended into a barely-sweet butter with raw cashews and raw cacao powder, the result is a smooth and creamy spread to top toast or swirl into oatmeal. Note: Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon reishi mushroom powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons sunflower seed oil
- Put the cashews in the bowl of a small food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until broken down into a sand-like consistency. Add the remaining ingredients and continue to blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the container as necessary. Taste and adjust as needed, adding a pinch more salt, maple syrup or oil. Transfer to a sealed jar and refrigerate for up to one week.
- Substitute raw almonds or raw walnuts, or a mix of raw nuts, for the cashews, if desired.
- Use the butter as a substitute for peanut butter on a sandwich.