back to Recipe Collection
Better-than-the-Restaurant Cashew Chicken (or Tofu)
- 2 handfuls cashews
- 2–4 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 small sweet peppers, chopped
- 8 ounces chicken or tofu (diced)
- 1–2 splashes rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. Add cashews to an oven-safe pan and put in the warming oven. Remove pan when oven indicates it is preheated. Turn off the oven.
- While cashews toast, heat 1 to 2 tablespoons oil in wok or large skillet. Add onion and peppers—you can also add a couple of handfuls of other vegetables, like chopped broccoli, broccoli rabe or others. Cook vegetables until soft and then transfer to a bowl. Add a bit more oil to skillet/wok and cook diced chicken or tofu until cooked through (or warmed, for tofu). Add vegetables back to pan. Sprinkle in rice vinegar, stir and then add soy sauce and hoisin sauce. Taste to check for desired seasoning, adding more sauces if needed. Toss in cashews and coat with sauces.
- Plate and serve with sides, such as greens and rice.