Recipe courtesy of Hana Manzur.
- 5 medium to large onions, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons each salt and pepper, or to taste
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2-3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 26-ounce jars tomato sauce of choice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 jar water (fill 1 26-ounce tomato sauce jar with water)
- Frozen okra (2 bags of large okra or 3 bags of baby okra)
- To prepare meatballs, combine ¼ cup of chopped onions in large bowl with ground beef, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon pepper. Blend thoroughly, then form into small meatballs.
- In large pot on stove over high heat, add grapeseed oil to cover bottom of pot, and add remaining onions. Sauté until onions almost soft. Begin adding meatballs into bottom of pot on top of onions, and allow to brown. Stir the onions and meatballs gently to prevent burning.
- Once meatballs are browned, add tomato sauce, sugar, juice of lemon, turmeric, remaining salt and pepper, water and okra. Stir until blended. Cover and cook on medium heat until bubbling, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes to prevent burning. Simmer over medium-low heat, covered, for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste while cooking. Serve with rice (or quinoa or potatoes if you do not eat rice on Passover).
- Recipes reprinted with permission from Cook, Pray, Eat Kosher: The Essential Kosher Cookbook for the Jewish Soul by Mia Adler Ozair (Feldheim, 2015).