Baked Salmon with Zucchini, Red Onions and Dill
I love when we can make a dish that has our vegetables and meat or fish in the same pan so they can all cook together. The salmon is so moist when cooked this way, but the zucchini stays tender-crisp. If you like zucchini more on the tender side, then slice it extra thin (you might even like to use extra zucchini and onions if your family members are big fans). Photo by Linda Wolpert.
- 1 pound salmon fillet, preferably wild Alaskan salmon
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped, or use 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and put the salmon in the center. Spread the vegetables around the fish, top everything with the dill, oil and the juice of half the lemon. Thinly slice the other half lemon and spread it around the dish. Season the fish and vegetables with the salt and pepper. (At this point, the dish can be refrigerated for up to 12 hours.) Bake it, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove the salmon from the oven and serve it immediately.
- Slow Cooker Directions: Combine all ingredients except the salmon in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or on high for 3 to 3½ hours. Place the salmon on top of the vegetables and top with additional salt, pepper, dill and lemon juice if desired. Cook for 2 more hours on low or 1 more hour on high, until the salmon flakes easily with a fork (length of cooking will depend on thickness of fish). (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
- Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice the zucchini and onion, chop the dill, juice half the lemon and slice the remaining half, or fully assemble and refrigerate the dish.
- Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1 to 2 cloves of sliced garlic to the vegetables before baking.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving, based on four servings (% based upon daily values) Calories: 257, Total Fat: 16g, 24.5%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15.5%; Cholesterol: 67mg, 22.5%; Sodium: 224mg, 9.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 5g, 1.5%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 3.5%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 24g