Baked Cinnamon–Sugar Doughnuts
Try your hand at doughnuts for Chanukah this year without having to tackle a deep fryer! Save the oil for the latkes, and serve up these homemade baked cinnamon sugar doughnuts for a Chanukah celebration.
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a doughnut pan with non-stick baking spray. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan, filling each doughnut three-quarters of the way full. Bake for 15 minutes, until the doughnuts are puffed and lightly browned. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack.
- While the doughnuts are cooling, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon topping ingredients in a bowl. Brush the warm doughnuts with the melted butter and dip them into the cinnamon sugar mixture, coating both sides. Serve immediately or store at room temperature.