Aromatic Mushroom Broth
Making a homemade broth sounds complicated, but it’s actually quite easy! Mushrooms are packed with flavor, but those notes need to be coaxed out of them gently. Simmering dried and cooked mushrooms with pungent onions and woody thyme is a simple way to make a delicious broth. The result is a liquid full of umami that can be eaten on its own as a clear soup or used cook the rice in the Simple and Sublime Mushroom Risotto. Note: Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- ½ ounce (1 package) dried mushrooms (mixed variety preferable)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned
- Stems of 8 ounces cremini mushrooms and 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- ¼ cup tamari
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put dried mushrooms in a medium-sized heatproof bowl. Pour 2 cups boiling water over top, stir to submerge the mushrooms and cover with a lid (or a piece of aluminum foil). Allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan. Once hot, add the onion, white mushrooms, mushroom stems and dried thyme. Resist the urge to stir the pot; instead, allow it to sizzle. The mushrooms and onion will start to release their liquid. Once there is some liquid at the bottom of the pot, lower the heat to medium-low and stir the contents occasionally. The mushrooms and onion will cook down and become very tender and flavorful after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the reconstituted dried mushrooms, reserving the liquid and the mushrooms in separate bowls. Add the infused mushroom liquid to the saucepan, along with an additional 3 cups of room temperature water and tamari. Bring pan to a gentle boil, then lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the pot into a colander, reserving the mushrooms and onions for later use. Return the liquid—your Aromatic Mushroom Broth—to the saucepan, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Keep warm to proceed with the Simple and Sublime Mushroom Risotto.
- Double recipe, if needed.
- Broth can be made in advance and kept chilled for 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer.