Our take on traditional apples and honey, the Apple Galette is served warm with ice cream, perfect for the crisp weather at the beginning of fall. Originally launched at Mon Ami Gabi, we will be serving it this year at Summer House Santa Monica for the Rosh Hashanah holiday menus. Photo by Anjali Pinto.
- Apple Jam
- 16 ounces Fuji apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 10 ounces apple cider
- 8 ounces (1 1/8 cups) sugar
- 4 ounces (½ cup) brown sugar
- Apple Gastrique
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) water
- 3 ounces (heaping 1/3 cup) sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 ounces apple cider
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) butter
- 14 ounces frozen puff pastry sheets
- 3 Fuji apples
- ½ tablespoon apple jam (above)
- 4 ounces (½ cup) butter, softened
- 4 ounces (½ cup) sugar
- To make the jam, bring all ingredients to a simmer in a sauce pot. Cook until apples are very soft, about 20 to 25 minutes. Puree until very smooth. Return puree to a clean small pot and cook until thick like a jam.
- To make the gastrique, in a small saucepan, add water and sugar. Cook over medium heat without stirring until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Gently stir in apple cider vinegar and apple cider. The mixture will bubble up. Reduce gastrique to a thin syrup, another 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk in butter and strain.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the galette, begin by thawing puff pastry. Place sheet on a lightly floured workspace and lightly roll with a rolling pin. Cut into 4 rounds, each 4½ inches in diameter. Place in freezer until ready to use.
- Peel, core and halve apples. Thinly slice apple on a mandoline into 1/16-inch slices. Place apple jam in center of each piece of pastry. Fan out 3 layers of apples on top of each pastry, each layer a little smaller than the last. Coat the entire galette with a thin layer of soft butter. It is easier to use your finger than a pastry brush. Holding galette away from sheet tray you are baking on, sprinkle with a generous layer of sugar. Place galettes on a sheet tray. Bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- To serve, drizzle apple gastrique around the plate. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.