Anti-Inflammatory Golden Milk Quinoa Porridge
A favorite wintertime warming drink combined with fluffy cooked quinoa becomes a delicious way to start the day. Served hot or at room temperature, this slightly sweet creamy porridge is nourishing for any day of the year, especially when topped with antioxidant-rich fresh berries and coconut flakes. Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory benefits are potentiated by the addition of black pepper, so make sure to include a large pinch! Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon local honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom (omit if you don’t eat kitniyot)
- 1 ½-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- To serve: Fresh blueberries, unsweetened coconut flakes, additional honey or maple syrup (if desired)
- Pour the coconut milk into a medium-sized saucepan. Add the turmeric, honey or maple syrup, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer and stir. Add the cooked quinoa to the pot and stir to incorporate into the coconut milk mixture. Lower the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover the pan and allow porridge to rest for 20 minutes.
- If serving immediately, place quinoa porridge into bowls and top with desired toppings, or remove porridge from the pot to a container, cover and chill for up to 4 days. Gently reheat to serve, or enjoy at room temperature.
- Note: Porridge can be made in advance and kept chilled for up to 4 days.