Almodrote de Berenjena Sefardí (Sephardic Eggplant Casserole)
Photo by Roberto Koltún for El Nuevo Heraldo.
- Vegetable oil for greasing dish
- 6 eggplants (pick fresh ones with a light green stem)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Salt to taste
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-by-13-inch glass dish. Prick each eggplant all over and heat in the microwave in 30-second to 1-minute increments until very soft. Cut each eggplant into 4 pieces and scoop the flesh out, discarding seeds and skin.
- In a small pot, combine potatoes and water. Boil until potatoes are soft, then mash them.
- Combine eggplant flesh with eggs. Then add mashed potatoes, salt and Parmesan cheese. The mixture should be very thick. Scoop into dish and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 25 to 30 minutes. Then broil for the last few minutes until the top is golden.