Crispy Baked Falafel
Falafel is a traditional Middle Eastern patty made out of chickpeas. They are typically deep-fried, which makes it both intimidating for a home cook and not the healthiest thing to enjoy. While baked falafel are typically soggy messes that fall apart, by adding a coating of Amazi plantain chips you get the crunch you dream of without all the extra calories. Not only are Amazi baked, not fried, but come in a variety of flavors, from plain sea salt to chili spice for an extra kick. Enjoy these patties on their own, or throw them in a pita with some tzatziki, hummus and salad.
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup parsley, loosely packed
- ½ cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup baked plantain chips, such as Amazi, finely ground in a food processor
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor, except for the baking powder, flour and Amazi chips. Pulse until mixed, stopping every few pulses to scrape down the sides. You want everything to be well chopped, but not mushy (about 10 to 12 pulses). Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings if you desire. Add the baking powder and flour, pulsing until the mixture forms a ball. This should only take a few pulses, as you want it to have chunks throughout. Scrape down the sides between pulses to ensure an even mix. You can store the mixture in the fridge overnight (it helps it stick together) or use right away.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. To make the falafel, roll ¼ cup of the mixture into balls and coat them in the ground plantain chips. Flatten them down into 2-inch sized patties (about ½ inch thick) on the baking sheet and brush the tops with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through. If the patties fall apart while flipping just push them back into shape. Remove from oven and serve immediately.