Let’s Cook Up Our Community!
The theme of food is universal, a language that everyone speaks and understands. Since its inception in 2013, JFE® has tapped into this cultural phenomenon by using food as a means to connect Jews to each other and to Jewish community in Greater Washington. Through the JFE® Grants Program, our goal is to empower Jewish organizations, schools, Federation partner agencies and individuals to create innovative food programming that captures the interest and attention of Jews throughout MD, DC and VA.
If you are interested in applying for a JFE® grant, please contact JFE® Director Paul Entis at 301-230-7261 or firstname.lastname@example.org prior to completing a grant application form. Paul can clarify how the grant process works and answer any questions you may have.
JFE® Community Outreach Partnership Grants
Four (4) Grants of $2,500 each to be distributed
Submission Deadline: Wednesday, September 21st, 7 pm
The JFE® Community Outreach Partnership Grant offers Jewish organizations in the Greater Washington area an opportunity to partner with JFE® to use the theme of food as a means for creating a meaningful food themed event. As a Community Outreach Partner you will receive a $2,500 contribution to be put toward an event to be developed and implemented in partnership with members of the JFE® professional and leadership teams.
Requirements for JFE® Community Outreach Partners:
- Events must take place between December 15, 2016 and June 15, 2017.
- Events must have a minimum attendance of 100 individuals.
- 75% of the anticipated attendees must represent one of the JFE® target audiences:
- Young Professionals
- Interfaith Couples/Families
- Grantees must be able to add a minimum of $1,000 of additional funding to the event budget. At least $500 of this should be from in-house funds, the remaining portion of the $1,000 can be from ticket sales or other grants.
- The Grant request must be for a new event that the organization has not hosted or sponsored in our community in the last two years.
- The Executive Director of the organization applying must sign off on the application.
- As stated above, JFE® expects to be involved in the planning of the event with representation on the planning committee by two JFE® representatives (one staff, one JFE® Grants committee member).
- Grant money will be distributed after receipt of names and email addresses of attendees at the event, which must be submitted to JFE® within five business days after the event’s conclusion.
JFE® Quick Turnaround Grants
Ten (10) Grants of $200-$300 each to be distributed
Submission Deadline: Reviewed on a rolling basis, but must be submitted to JFE® at least six (6) weeks prior to the proposed event.
The JFE® Quick Turn-around Grant offers Jewish organizations, currently in the planning stages of food events, additional financial support for the events they have in the works. All planning, implementation and follow-up is managed by the hosting organization. To receive this grant allocation, events must fit a specific criteria outlined below and must be willing to adhere to certain follow up expectations.
Requirements for JFE® Quick Turnaround Grants:
- Grants will be reviewed on a rolling basis and must be submitted to JFE® at least six (6) weeks prior to the proposed event. The JFE® Grant Committee will share its decision 7 – 10 days after receipt of the proposal.
- Minimum attendance is 30 individuals.
- Grantees must match the JFE® grant with a minimum of 50% (e.g., for a grant of $300, agency must match with $150). At least half of that amount should be from in-house funds the remaining portion from ticket sales or other grants.
- The Grant request must be for a new event that the applying organization has not hosted or sponsored in our community in the last two years.
- Grant will be dispersed after receipt of names and email addresses of attendees at the event, which must be submitted to JFE® within five business days after the event is held.
- Events that are reaching JFE® target audiences will be favorably considered, but all programs with a Jewish food component, from a 501c3 nonprofit agency, are eligible to apply.
- Any one organization may not receive more than two (2) JFE® Quick Turnaround Grants in the same funding period (September 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017). We encourage agency personnel to coordinate with each other regarding the application process. Once two grants are received for any given agency, no other application will be accepted during this grant year.
- Grants will be disbursed on a first-come, first-served basis. When grant monies have been depleted, the Committee will cease reviewing applications.
JFE® Grassroots Co-sponsorships for Individuals
Grants from $100 to $250
Submission Deadline: Reviewed on a rolling basis but must be submitted to JFE® at least five (5) weeks prior to the proposed event.
JFE® Grassroots Co-sponsorships for individuals make it possible for community members to create and execute small scale programs aimed at gathering together 15 or less people for experimental and cutting-edge programming related to Jewish food.
Grants are awarded to individuals not affiliated with 501c3 nonprofit agencies. More favorable consideration will be given to programs that engage at least one of JFE®’s target audiences: Young Professionals, Baby-Boomers and Interfaith Couples/Families.